Sustainable Pattern Cutting & Construction summer course
This course is meant to create more awareness regarding the sustainable use of fashion for individual purpose. You can decide to enrol only in the Sustainable Pattern Cutting module (July 18th to July 22nd) or in the Garment Construction module (July 25th to July 29th), or to enroll in the full course (July 18th to July 29th).
Shaping a garment requires patience and a good eye for detail, with fashion designers constantly striving to create the perfect cut or drape. A pattern cutter plays an extremely important role in turning ideas into a design reality. Collars, zips, waistbands, cuffs, and hems: this Sustainable Pattern Cutting & Construction summer course will give you knowledge also on how to adapt patterns to your style, how to apply several sewing techniques and how to construct your own garment in a professional way.
Level: Certificate of Completion
Duration: 1 week (5 days) or 2 weeks (10 days)
When: Monday to Friday, from 9:30am to 5:00pm
- Sustainable Pattern Cutting module: July 18th to July 22nd, 2022
- Garment Construction module: July 25th to July 29th, 2022
- Sustainable Pattern Cutting & Garment Construction full course: July 18th to July 29th, 2022
Language: English only
- Sustainable Pattern Cutting module: € 800
- Garment Construction module: € 800
- Sustainable Pattern Cutting & Garment Construction full course: € 1.400
Application fee*: € 50
Admission: open for admission
Maximum number of students: 15
Option addition: if you enrol also in the Fashion Design Portfolio Development summer course or in the Fashion Business Portfolio Development summer course, both running from July 4th to July 15th 2022, we will offer you a special discounted fee.
*Application fee is due at the moment of registration and it is not refundable.
This course is uniquely tailored for those with an interest in exploring the potentials that sustainable pattern cutting can offer to the design stage of the fashion industry. Within this course you will have the opportunity to study a variety of different techniques that can be applied to the pattern cutting process, giving you awareness into how it is created and developed and the basic principles of sustainable pattern cutting to support the development of original problem solving and practical skills required by pattern cutters today.
Within this 2-week Sustainable Pattern Cutting & Construction summer course you will use ready-made patterns to be adapted to your style, you will learn several sewing techniques and you will create your own garment, like a skirt, dress or shirt.
- Explore different techniques and re-create a new garment out of an existing one, either second-hand clothes or fabric dead stock.
- Understanding the basic principles of the closure of darts and adding fullness.
- How to use basic shapes to develop fashion garments.
- Three-dimensional shaping to a basic garment block.
- Look into ancient Japanese kimono’s and 3D Draping technique.
- Adapt pattern to your style.
- Create a new garment out of an existing one, either vintage clothes, linen or fabric deadstock.
- Re-use of existing garments, zips, buttons, even details like collars and cuffs.
- Learn several sewing techniques.
- Construct your own garment.
This course is perfect for you if:
- you are at least 16 years old;
- you want to understand if studying Fashion Design fits you;
- you want to learn different sustainable pattern cutting and construction techniques;
- you want to improve your fashion portfolio showing construction skills;
- you want to experience the Amsterdam Fashion Academy before applying to the BA (Hons) Fashion Design or Foundation Diploma in Fashion.
To apply to this course, you only need to fill out the application form and pay the application fee.
In the application form, you need to upload a letter of motivations (personal statement), digital copy of your passport, proof of payment of the application fee.
- Sustainable Pattern Cutting: € 800
- Garment Construction: € 800
- Sustainable Pattern Cutting & Garment Construction: € 1.400
Application fee: € 50
The Amsterdam Fashion Academy is a non-governmental and non-subsidized institute.
Not eligible to receive studiefinanciering.
Fees are equal for Europen and non-European students.
Application fee is due at the moment of registration.