We welcome applications from people of any age who might not meet the standard entry criteria, but we expect to see evidence of continuing academic and/or professional development and a capacity to pursue the course successfully. If your application is successful, you will be invited to attend an interview to discuss your abilities and suitability for the course.
Bachelor’s degree Fashion Business and Bachelor’s degree Fashion Design.
Please be informed that we are not legally able to sponsor non-EEA students for a study visa. Applicants must have an EEA passport (27 EU member states; Iceland; Liechtenstein; Norway; Switzerland) or Dutch residents permit to study in our Bachelor’s degree programmes.
Students must have one of the following high school diplomas:
- International Baccalaureate Diploma minimum 28 points;
- Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (Level 3);
- European Baccalaureate;
- Austria: Reife- und Diplomprüfungszeugnis or Reifezeugnis/Reifeprüfungszeugnis;
- Belgium: Certificat d’Enseignement Secondaire Supérieur, enseignement artistique/technique or general; or KSO, TSO, ASO;
- Bulgaria: Diplomaza Sredno Obrazonvaine (Diploma of Secondary Education);
- Croatia: Svjedodžba o (državnoj) maturi or Svjedodžba o zavrsnom ispitu;
- Czech Republic: Vysvědčení o maturitní zkoušce obtained at a Gymnázium;
- Denmark: Højere Handelseksamen (HHX)/Højere Teknisk Eksamen (HTX) or Studentereksamenbevis (STX)/Bevis for Højere Forberedelseseksamen (HF);
- Estonia: Gümnaasiumi lõputunnistus;
- Finland: Ylioppilastutkintotodistus/ Studentexamenbevis/ Matriculation Examination Certificate;
- France: Baccalauréat Technologique or Général;
- Germany: Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abiturzeugnis) or Fachhochschulreife;
- Greece: Apolytirio Genikou Lykeiou;
- Hungary: Gimnáziumi Érettségi Bizonyítvány or Szakközépiskolai Érettségi-Képesítö Bizonyítvány;
- Ireland: Leaving Certificate with at least 5 subjects of the established programme, including 5 subjects with at least O6 or H7, and at least 200 CAO points; or Leaving Certificate with at least 6 subjects of the established programme, including at least 2 subjects with H5 or higher, 4 subjects with at least O6 or H7, and at least 350 CAO points.
- Italy: Diploma di Superamento dell’Esame di Stato Conclusivo dei Corsi di Istruzione Secondario Superiore (liceo classico / scientifco / linguistico / scienze umane);
- Lithuania: Brandos Atestatas;
- Luxembourg: Diplôme de fin d’études secondaires classiques or générales;
- Netherlands: MBO 4, HAVO 5, VWO 6;
- Norway: Vitnemål for Videregående Opplaering;
- Poland: Świadectwo dojrzałości (maturiteitscertificaat);
- Portugal: Diploma/Certificado/Cer tidão do Ensino Secundário;
- Romania: Diplomă de Bacalaureat;
- Slovakia: Vysvedčenie o maturitnej skúške obtained at a Gymnázium or a Vysvedcenie o Maturitnej Skuske with a minimum overall score of 2.4;
- Spain: Título de Bachiller;
- Sweden: Högskoleförberedande Examen;
- Switzerland: Berufsmaturität/ Fachmaturität/ Specialised Maturity Certificate; or Maturity Certificate/ Maturitätszeugnis/ Maturitätsausweis/ Certificat de Maturité;
- UK: BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma; or Access to HE Diploma; or 4 GCSEs (with grade A* to C or 9 to 4) plus 2 subjects at AS level (with grade A* to C); or 4 GCSEs (with grade A* to C or 9 to 4) plus 2 subjects at A level (with grade D/E); or 3 GCSEs (with grade A* to C or 9 to 4) plus 3 subjects at A level (with grade A* to C).
- USA: US High School Diploma with GPA 2.8 or better, plus SAT scores (if taken in 2016 or later) of 1050 or better; or US High School Diploma with GPA 2.8 or better, plus SAT scores (if taken before 2016) of 1600 or better; or US High School Diploma with GPA 2.8 or better, plus two or three Advanced Placement tests with scores of 3 or better; or US High School Diploma with GPA 2.8 or better, plus ACT scores of 24 or better; or a transcript showing successful completion of one year of a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised American university with GPA 2.0
- For other countries, please contact us.
If you are applying to the BA (Hons) Fashion Design programme, you will need to submit your portfolio with your application. We will send you a design assignment to complete and submit before your admission interview.
What are we looking for in your portfolio?
- School art projects that show working and experimenting with various media;
- Research skills;
- Creative curiosity;
- Willingness to experiment;
- Playing with line, colour, shadow etc.;
- Show your developments as well as your final pieces;
- If you have sewing skills take good photo’s of your garments.
Never studied fashion design before?
We know most students have never studied fashion design before, however personal fashion design projects show you are proactive and engaged with the subject. A basic fashion project should include:
- Mood board: images that inspire you to create;
- Colour palette: use your imagery to select colours for your designs;
- Designs: can be collages, drawings etc.
If you need guidance in building up your portoflio, please let me know. We will be more than happy to give you personal help.
If you are applying to the Bachelor’s degree Fashion Business programme, you don’t need to submit a portfolio. Instead, we will send you a written assignment to complete and submit before your admission interview. However, if you have a portfolio ready, you are welcome to upload it on the application form.
Foundation Diploma in Fashion
If you don’t have one of the diplomas listed above, then you will need first to complete our Foundation Diploma in Fashion (1 year), which will give you direct access to our Bachelor’s degree programmes.
Admission assignment: after receiving your application, we will send you a creative assignment to complete and submit before the admission interview.
Please be informed that we are not legally able to sponsor non-EEA students for a study visa. Applicants must have an EEA passport (27 EU member states; Iceland; Liechtenstein; Norway; Switzerland) or Dutch residents permit to study in our Foundation Diploma in Fashion.
If you don’t have an EEA passport or Dutch residents permit, please check our Fast-Track option.
Direct entry into Year 2 and 3
Do you want to transfer from your current university to the Amsterdam Fashion Academy? We accept applications for the 2nd and 3rd year of the Bachelor’s degree Fashion Design and Bachelor’s degree Fashion Business programmes.
Please visit this page and fill out the form. You will be asked for the following information:
- Name of current university;
- Name of programme and year of study;
- Official transcripts of ECTS credits;
- List and description of the module you have studied.
We will be more than happy to check if your studies and credits are compatible with our programme before proceeding with the admission interview.