Fashion Film 2020
We are proud to present “Fashion your Future”, a fashion film by Amsterdam Fashion Academy that celebrates 12 graduates of 2020 from the BA (Hons) Fashion Design programme and their final collections.
Amsterdam Fashion Academy, the graduating students and the Amsterdam-based RISE Agency joined forces to realise a fashion film that highlights the 12 collections, which could not be shown in a fashion show last June due to the pandemic.
The final outcome is a modern music-video-like film that not only shows the talent of these young fashion designers, but also the international DNA of the Amsterdam Fashion Academy, diversity and the freedom students get at the Academy to explore their own styles and concepts.
Graduates (in order of appearance):
- Rebecca van Caem (The Netherlands/Spain): “La Feria” is a collection based on a week full of tradition, pride and culture for all Spanish people.
- Alexandra Poláková (Slovakia): The women’s collection is based on a subtle combination of modern tailoring techniques. The collection embraces the heritage of crafting by using traditional crochet techniques.
- Maria Sole Novelli (Italy): “Teddy-Army” is a menswear collection inspired by the Teddy Boy movement in England in the 1950s. I wanted to mix the practicality of the Teds street-wear with an elegant feeling.
- Sabrina Marinus (The Netherlands): “Royal sweetness” is about breaking the rules and being yourself with no apology. By embracing the feminine body, we dare to make statements we don’t have to hide from.
- Gabriella Frempong (The Netherlands/Ghana): This collection empowers and reconstructs female power and strength inspired by the cultural heritage from Ghana, in western silhouettes.
- Tricie Bergmann (Austria): With games, character design depends heavily on silhouette, as it is the first introduction to a character the player receives. Therefore, for this collection, the shapes and features of six Dungeons & Dragons races were studied to find their initial silhouettes.
- Ellen Hawes (UK): The collection is inspired by my grandad who passed away. His garden was his most prized possession so this I came up with this concept as a kind of memorial for him.
- Sophia Pohlmann (Austria): This collection is inspired by movies from the ‘70s, such as Dog Day Afternoon and Taxi Driver. Silhouettes and designs remind us of ‘70s style icons such as Mick Jagger and David Bowie.
- Robin Hubert (The Netherlands): The beginning point of the concept of my collection is the Amazon rainforest, especially focussed on the fires that have been happening in 2019. My aim for this collection is to make people more conscious about the bad influence we have on nature and environment, and how bad the consequences are if we keep polluting the Earth.
- Cristina Noya (Spain): My collection, which is about human alter egos, simulates different personalities: the outside visually looks unpleasant but the feeling is actually comfortable. This is all achieved with macrame technique.
- Merel van de Laak (The Netherlands): For the design of my final collection 2020, I chose to focus this project on colour, illustration and prints. A big source of inspiration for me is looking at interior design and this will be reflected in my collection.
- Edurne Goikoetxea (Spain): The main inspiration for this “Dotes” is the great Italian painter Caravaggio. On the one hand, the collection is inspired by his excellent technique and unique shapes and colours, constantly used and implemented in his paintings. On the other hand, the influence of his disturbed personality and his dark thoughts and behaviours.
A big “thank you” to all students who have agreed to model in the film. Indeed, 18 of the 24 models you see in the film are actually current students of the Academy! It was a pleasure to see all of them participating in the production and also their enthusiasm when we were recording late at night in the cold and rain.
Models: Paul Verjus, Daniel Sars, Giorgia Tessarollo, Tafari Lake, Adian Buys, Melatie Hendriks, Elizabeth Miller, Annelore Boon, Merel Tibboel, Boris Jansen, Domitille Georget, Emma Pekelharing, Giselle Ingham, Zofia Przygonska, Maria Caniné, Felix Blankestein, Aditya Pradeep Kumar, Hanneke Ketting, Beata Micialkiewicz, Mirjam Choufoer, Mark Shets, Auree Nooitmeer, Erika Agyeibeah.
Film direction & photos: Travis Allen, Stefano Sanabria, Nidalcruzito, Bas Colenbrander.
Behind the scenes photos: Daniel Sars.
Hair & Make-up: Art of Colors
Production Assistants: Maria Sole Novelli, Gabriella Frempong.
Styling: Beata Micialkiewicz.
Production: Cristiano Carciani, Director and Luca Bagnaschino, Head of Marketing.
Music: Kyara Shereen, Saint Ronil Elvis from Paradise.